Determine Residency Status

Residency Application Form  
Proof of Residency

Changing Residency Status: Applying for Residency
Residency Affidavit Form

Residency status is determined at the time your application for admission or class registration is processed. To be considered a resident, a student must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S. for at least one year and must have been physically present in the state of Washington for one full year prior to the first day of the quarter you enroll. Students not meeting residency requirements are required to pay the higher non-resident tuition rate.

Students enrolling in 6 or more credits shortly after arriving in Washington state are presumed to have come to Washington for educational purposes. These students are not eligible for the in-state rate until they have established a bona fide domicile and can provide all of the supporting domicile documentation, demonstrating establishment of least one year prior to the quarter of registration. The required supporting documentation is listed below.

 Residency Application Form

  Application  (PDF) 

Proof of Residency

No single factor or specific combination of factors provide a guarantee that a student will be eligible for residency status. A student can begin to establish and document residency in the state of Washington by completing the following 6 steps. To be considered for eligibility for a given quarter, a student will need to submit supporting documentation that he/she has met the requirements below. All submitted documentation must show that these items were obtained one year prior to the beginning date of the quarter for which you request resident status.

  1. Obtain a Washington state driver license or identification card.
  2. Have your motor vehicle registered in the state of Washington.
  3. Register to vote in the state of Washington.
  4. Provide copies of your rent receipts (or lease agreements or home purchase papers).
  5. Open (or transfer) your checking/savings account to a bank branch in Washington state.
  6. Keep receipts from Immigration and Naturalization Service that show the date your application for Permanent Resident Status was filed (if applicable).

Changing Residency Status: Applying for Residency

After you have established domicile in the state of Washington for the required period, it is your responsibility to request a change in residency status. Applications for a change in classification will be accepted up to the 30th calendar day following the first day of the quarter for which application is made. If residency is pending after the students' tuition is due, students are responsible for paying non-resident tuition and fees. If residency is granted, a refund for the non-residency differential can be processed.

Individuals who are not permanent residents or U.S. citizens may qualify for resident tuition, if they have resided in Washington state for the 3 years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma and completed the full senior year at a Washington high school, or completed the equivalent of a high school diploma and resided in Washington state for the 3 years immediately before receiving the equivalent of the diploma. Students must continuously have resided in the state since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent. Additional criteria are required. Please contact the Admissions/Registration Office for more information about the Residency Affidavit.

 Residency Affidavit Form

 Affidavit  (PDF)

Foreign students who would like to attend North Seattle College can apply through the International Student Program.

Tuition & Fees Contacts

NSC Cashier's Office:
(206) 934-3627

Office Hours

M,W,TH,F  8am – 4:30pm
T 8am – 5:30pm


CC2455D ()

Classes | Map | People | Directory | Calendar


Need a NetID?

Students: Set one up now!

Employees: See your supervisor.